This blog post was inspired after taking 2.5 weeks off of work and creating content due to being sick, and wanting you to have the resources to be able to always find safer products. On a side note, I am actually happy I got sick, it has been YEARS and the fact I cannot remember when the last time I was sick, is not good. So finally getting sick meant my immune system was ready to work! Not getting sick does not mean you are healthy. It can mean your body is in severe flight or fight, and prioritizing keeping you alive rather than fighting off a cold. On the other hand, being frequently sick may mean you need to strengthen your gut health as 80-90% of our immune system is in our gut.
Ok now on to being your own best advocate for switching to a lower tox life. I know some like when you just tell them what is safe and what works well and others love researching on their own. This guide will bridge that for you as these resources will provide safer products to trust but also give you the information to understand WHY.
Here are my TOP 4 resources. They all have their PROS and CONS
- EVERYTHING IS CONSIDERED HARMFUL until proven SAFE by Made Safe! This is how our law in the U.S. should be but unfortunately it is the reverse, everything is safe until proven harmful.
- This is an online database that screens for behavioral toxins, carcinogens, developmental toxins, endocrine disruptors, heavy metals, fire retardants, neurotoxins, high risk pesticides, reproductive toxins, toxic solvents, and harmful VOCs.
- They have various safer guides that provide so much helpful information. They include certified products from bedding, baby & child, apparel, household, personal care, sexual health, cosmetics, and so much more!
- This is newer so there isn’t as many certified brands, however those that are Made Safe certified are ALL SAFE!
- No app, so you have to search on their website.
Check out Made Safe Database here.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING GROUP (EWG)
- APP on phone to scan and provides quick glance of ratings of products.
- Dozens of product categories including which produce to purchase organic vs those ok to buy conventional to avoid pesticides. Their skin deep database which provides safer personal care products, and so much more.
- Database can feel overwhelming to navigate.
- Products may not appear when you scan, however a TIP that helps me is type in the brand you are looking for, so for instance, type in… “Beautycounter EWG” in google search and the products may appear. Same rule applies when searching for ingredients, search, “fragrance EWG” and the information on this ingredient will appear and as you can see rates an 8!
- MOST IMPORTANT TO KNOW- Because products are weighted averages, it’s possible to miss toxic ingredients. So you have to check the individual ratings. I try to avoid products with ingredients rated with a 3 or higher.
Check out EWG database here.
To download on your phone, search for Healthy Living App.
- Free chrome extension that scans personal care products when shopping online at amazon, Sephora, Walmart, iHerb, and Love Letter. THIS IS HUGE and has been a GAME CHANGER for me when shopping on AMAZON.
- Limited to the above stores, and only gives safety rating if ingredients are listed. HOWEVER, I have found this more useful than NOT especially on AMAZON.
- You have to be on your computer and the data is not available on your phone’s app.
To download Clearya on your computer, click here.
Here is an example of where you would see this on Amazon.
- APP on phone to scan and usually you will have more luck than EWG having that product appear with a rating.
- They take into consideration allergens in their ratings as harmful. This is important to point out because if you are allergic to the ingredient it is important to avoid however, this does not mean it is automatically harmful to all of us.
Check our Think Dirty database here.
To download on your phone, search Think Dirty.